The coconut fruit gives us coconut oil.
This oil is used extensively as a cosmetic, medicine, cooking and even industrial applications.
Coconut palm trees grow extensively in Philippines, Vietnam and India which all have warm tropical climates.
Coconut oil contains saturated fats and monounsaturated fatty acids like lauric acid and linoleic acid.
What is Argan Oil?
Argan oil is a medicinal and cosmetic oil that is extracted from the seeds of the Argania spinosa (Argan Tree) fruits.
This tree flourishes well in semi-arid conditions and is the economic mainstay of the indigenous Berber people of Morocco in North Africa.
Argan or Moroccan Oil as it is popularly called is in great demand as a beauty aid among the elite in the West. Argan oil is rich in unsaturated fatty acids and also contains powerful natural antioxidants like vitamin E, linoleic and oleic acids, vitamin E, squalene, polyphenols.
Coconut Oil Vs Argan Oil For Hair
Both coconut oil and argan oil offer varied benefits for the hair. For frizzy hair, using argan oil can reduce damage caused to the hair cuticles by extensive styling, environmental pollutants and other harsh chemicals found in hair dyes or hair styling products.
Using argan oil can restore smoothness and shine to hair while at the same time control frizzy, dry hair and split ends.
Scientific research has found that coconut oil is excellent for damaged and undamaged hair for it restores vital nutrients – especially protein to hair follicles.
Lauric acid found in coconut oil is an essential triglyceride that can restore hair proteins. Coconut oil also has the ability to swiftly penetrate hair down to the roots and help to nourish and strengthen hair.
While both argan and coconut oil offer varied benefits for our hair, antioxidants like vitamin F and E found in argan oil is said to particularly benefit frizzy hair by rejuvenating, moisturizing and restoring hair sheen.
Other Benefits of Coconut Oil for the Hair
Here are some benefits of coconut oil for the hair and ways to use it.
- Coconut oil is a natural moisturizer for the hair. Rubbing a small amount on dry ends can hydrate hair and prevent dryness and frizzy hair.
- Coconut oil is said to promote hair growth. This can work in various ways:
- Lauric acid can shield hair protein and prevent hair breakage.
- Seals in moisture and protects hair from environmental impurities. It can penetrate right down to the hair shaft and therefore strengthens hair follicles from within.
- It can protect the scalp from lice and dandruff due to its antifungal and antibacterial properties.
- Coconut oil contains iron, vitamin E and K which prevent various scalp conditions and provide essential nutrients to maintain healthy hair.
- Massaging the scalp with coconut oil improves blood circulation and also promotes hair growth.
Coconut oil can be used on hair before or after shampooing.
- Before shampooing take some oil and rub gently on the scalp, massaging for 5 minutes. Apply over entire hair, leave for 30 minutes to 4 hours depending on extent of damage to the hair. Shampoo as usual.
- Mixing coconut oil with conditioner or shampoo when washing hair can also benefit hair growth.
- Those with dry hair or split ends can apply some coconut oil after shampooing and once hair is completely dry.
Other Benefits of Argan Oil for the Hair
Here are some benefits of argan oil for the hair and ways to use it.
Argan oil can be used to treat various scalp conditions like dry hair, dandruff, and split ends
- It restores shine to dull hair
- Promotes hair growth
- Helps to detangle hair
- Restores strength to hair for it contains moisturizing properties
- Natural antioxidants found in argan oil can reverse cellular damage and strengthen hair.
- It is an excellent and popular hair styling product.
The following are some of the ways that argan oil can be used for the hair:
- To use as a conditioner, mix pure argan oil along with regular hair conditioner and apply on hair. Leave this for 30 minutes to ensure deep conditioning. Wrap a warm towel on hair and then wash to enjoy better results.
- Those with dry scalp conditions can apply argan oil on hair, leave overnight and wash next morning. This gives relief from dry scalp conditions like dandruff.
- A few drops of argan oil rubbed on strands of hair and then washed after sometime can even improve frizzy hair.
In the end..
Both argan oil and coconut oil offer relief for various hair problems and for those with frizzy and unmanageable hair. Regular use of these oils helps moisturize and maintain healthy, smooth and shining hair.